- Ph.D., University of Tennessee (2000)
- MS, Barry University (1996)
- BA, University of Notre Dame (1994)
Phone: (254) 710-3871
Dr. Baker's research focuses on bioinformatics, genomics, computational systems biology, knowledge-based discovery, systems modeling, and integrative data analysis.
Read about how Dr. Erich Baker is revolutionizing patient care
- CSI 3335 Introduction to Databases and Applications
Dr. Baker continues to drive the direction of research in bioinformatics. His early background in bench science in the area of immunology, and a transformative postdoctoral position in early genome integration, with specific emphasis in computation, data integration and harmonization, gives Dr. Baker a broad background in systems biology, data management, and bioinformatics. His focus as a PI-, co-PI-, or co-investigator on several large, distributed informatics and data mining projects has been pivotal in establishing best practices in multi-domain data integration and distributed collaborations and investigating novel algorithm approaches in exploring a diversity of omic datasets. Applications resulting from these experiences cover well-documented LIMS and data integration systems that attempt to bring the data and analytic tools of biology closer to domain experts.
Select Journal Publications
- Reynolds, Timothy, Johnson, Emma C., Huggett, Spencer B., Bubier, Jason A., Palmer, Rohan H. C., Agrawal, Arpana, Baker, Erich J., Chesler, Elissa J. Interpretation of psychiatric genome-wide association studies with multispecies heterogeneous functional genomic data integration. Neuropsychopharmacology (2020) 0:1–12; https://doi.org/10.1038/s41386-020-00795-5.
- Hill, D. P., Harper, A., Malcolm, J., McAndrews, M. S., Mockus, S. M., Patterson, S. E., Reynolds, T., Baker, E. J., Bult, C. J., Chesler, E. J., & Blake, J. A. (2019). Cisplatin- resistant triple-negative breast cancer subtypes: Multiple mechanisms of resistance. BMC Cancer, 19(1), 1039. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-019-6278-9.
- Jason Bubier, David Hill, Gaurab Mukherjee, Timothy Reynolds, Erich J. Baker, Alexander Berger, Jake Emerson, Judith A Blake, Elissa J. Chesler. Curating Gene Sets: Challenges and Opportunities for Integrative Analysis. Database. Volume 2019. 2019, baz036, https://doi.org/10.1093/database/baz036.
- Bubier, Jason, Sutphin, George, Reynolds, Timothy, Korstanje, Ron, Fuksman-Kumpa, Axis, Baker, Erich, Langston, Michael, and Chesler, Elissa. Integration of heterogeneous functional genomics data in gerontology research identifies genes and pathway underlying aging across species. PLoS ONE 14(4): e0214523. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0214523.
- Moore, Sharon, Baker, Erich, Grant, Kathy, Gonzales, Steven, Zollinger, Elizabeth, and Radunskaya, Ami. Time for a Drink? A Mathematical Model of Non-Human Primate Alcohol Consumption. Frontiers in Applied Mathematics and Statistics. 2019 Feb 22. Vol. 5. https://doi.org/10.3389/fams.2019.00006.
- Dozier BL, Stull CA, Baker EJ, Ford MM, Jensen JP, Finn DA, and Grant KA. Chronic ethanol drinking increases during the luteal menstrual cycle phase in rhesus monkeys: implication of progesterone and related neurosteroids. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2019 Jan 15. pp 1- 12. doi: 10.1007/s00213-019-5168-9.
- Phillips, Charles, Wang, Kai, Baker, Erich, Bubier, Jason, Chesler, Elissa, and Langston, Michael. On Finding and Enumerating Maximal and Maximum k-Partite Cliques in k-Partite Graphs. Algorithms. 2019, 12(1), 23. https://doi.org/10.3390/a12010023.
Select Conference Proceedings and Posters
- Reynolds, T., Bubier, J. A., Agrawal, A., Baker, E. J., & Chesler, E. J. Integrative cross-species analysis uncovers convergent genomic regulatory features associated with complex disease. NIDA Genetics and Epigenetics Cross-Cutting Research Team Meeting, Rockville, MD. January, 2019.
- Reynolds, T., Emerson, J., Berger, A., Bubier, J., Baker, E. J., & Chesler, E. J., GeneWeaver.org: A RESTful service for multi-species data integration in functional ge‐ nomics. Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology, Basel, Switzerland. August, 2019.
- Moore, A. Radunskaya, E. Zollinger, N. Walter, K. Grant, E. Baker. A mathematical model of blood ethanol concentration levels in rhesus macaques. 42nd Annual RSA Scientific Meeting, Minneapolis, MN. ACER 2019.43. issue-s1. doi.org/10.1111/acer.14056.
- Pablo Rivas, Sharon Moore, Urszula Iwaniec, Russell Turner, Kathy Grant, and Erich Baker. Optimizing Support Vector Machine Analysis in Low Density Biological Data Sets. IEEE, 2018 International Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence (CSCI). Pre-print: https://www.rivas.ai/pdfs/rivas2018optimizing.pdf DOI 10.1109/CSCI.2018.00262.
- J. Chesler, T. Reynolds, J.A. Bubier, C.A. Phillips, M.A. Langston, E.J. Baker. Finding convergent behavioral features of alcohol use disorder through functional genomic comparison across species. 41st Annual RSA Scientific Meeting, San Diego, CA. ACER 2018.65. issue-s1.
- EJ Baker, SE Moore, Waltern N, Gonzalas S, Grant K. Distinctive Ethanol Consumption Patterns in the Monkey Schedule-Induced Polydipsia Model. 41st Annual RSA Scientific Meeting, San Diego, CA. ACER 2018. 330.issue-s1.
- Moore S.E., Radunskaya A., Zollinger E., Walter N., Grant K., and Baker, E. Simulation of Non-Human Primate Alcohol Consumption. 41st Annual RSA Scientific Meeting, San Diego, CA. ACER 2018. 755.issue-s1.
- SM Ashiqul Islam, Christopher Michel Kearney, Ankan Choudhury, and Erich J. Baker. 2017. Protein Classification using Modified N-Gram and Skip-Gram Models: Extended Abstract. In Proceedings of the 8th ACM International Conference on Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, and Health Informatics (ACM-BCB ’17). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 586-586. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3107411.3108193